Day 91; July 27 -- Day of Eating and Bear Watching

We got up and had cereal.  Driver had seen an ad for a local cafe with Liver and Onions and requested that he wanted to eat there before we left.  He chose lunch time. Before we went to lunch, we went back to Hyde to check on the fish and bears.  It rained just about the whole day.  It was raining when we went past the post office in Hyde.

   It was raining when we got to the observation station for bears.  My grumpy driver informed me that this would be like watching football in the rain.....he slept in the truck.  I put on my tourist hat and grabbed my umbrella (Susan should have been there too) and headed out to watch.  I found a dry spot under a pine tree and settled down with my Nook.  I finished reading the book "Tisha".  It was enjoyable.  It was about a teacher in Chicken, Alaska.  Patience paid off and a male black bear came walking along the shore.
 Pretty soon, I decided my feet were freezing.  I wore something I never thought I would wear in public.  I had on socks with sandals.  Cool;!  My kids would have shuttered.  So I woke the driver up and headed home.  On the way back we passed this bear.  He liked my red flowers too.  Found out later on in the day that this is elderberries.  Just not to the purple stage like Gib makes jelly from.
 We stopped and had lunch at the local cafe.  I had Halibut and Chips, the driver had his Liver and Onions.  He about passed out when he had to pay over $40 for a lunch.  I told him I thought he might decide my cooking was pretty good!

We then went to the grocery store.  I was out of ice cream.  I put it in my cart and found out it was $8.79.  I put it back in the cooler and told the clerk, "Thanks for the exercise!"

This is a picture of the Bear Creek Campground.  Mountains all around us again,

 I read a little, and left the driver on my computer reading the "Trailer Life" magazine.  I went to take a nap.  When I got up we decided to go back to the observation area.  The mother and her cub showed back up for another try at fishing.  The fish were not running tonight.  Don't know if the rain stopped them or what.  Anyway Mama Bear had a few berries........
 and then she plunged into the creek after a fish.
The tiny cub sneaked along the shoreline and was at the bridge opening when she was ready to go.  We watched a few more minutes, it started raining harder, so we headed back to the camper.  I fixed the worse batch of popcorn.  Couldn't taste the butter and it was way too salty.  I finally gave mine to Gary.

I took over two hours to download these pictures for the blog.  Tomorrow we head back to Hwy 37 and hit 16 (I think).  We are going half way to Prince George (I think).  Control Freak is letting the driver/tour guide decide on the routes and how long we stay at most places.

I had to go back and adjust my dates.  It is really hard to keep track of which day it is.  One of the burdens of being retired.  Ha.Ha.Ha.     LOVE IT!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 93 and 94; July 29 & 30 -- Canada to USA

December 31 2013 -- Happy New Years!

Day 105; August 10 -- Woman's Work?