Day 81; July 17 - Sunday Day of Rest

I just wanted to hang out and enjoy the scenery today.  I was awaken this morning by a Skype call from Jessie and Mary.  Started my day off right.  I had a muffin and cream cheese for breakfast.  Last night Gary came in with two bags of groceries the neighbors had given him.  They were flying back to their home country this morning and didn't have any use for them.  They gave him four old bananas, oil, eggs, juice, salad dressing.....
I made a great loaf of banana nut bread.  It was pretty good if I do say so myself.  Driver, Prissy, and I took a short walk while it was cooking.

He told me he kept repeating his sad story of all the repairs that he made on his vehicles and put on his oldest clothes so people would feel sorry for him--that man!  He also is really pleased with all the goodies the girls left in the cupboards.  He has enough junk food to get him back in the lower 48.  Ha!  He really enjoyed being spoiled and said to make sure I thanked them.
 Driver wanted to know if I wanted to go for a short drive; so I went along.  We drove up a steep little hill until we reached the no trespassing sign into a tower lot.  Turned around and headed back to camp.
 The bottom had a couple of lakes.
 The little ducks would probably be our only wildlife sighting for the day.
 High today was 62--sorry for our friends and relatives in the mid-west.  Rob called last night to ask how to make a pork roast.  He said the weather was really bad!  He knows more about cooking than I do.
 This little duck was hard to photograph.  It kept dipping into the water.
 There was also a Leadership Camp for the local high school in the bottom.  Wonder if everyone in this state has a camper and three four-wheelers?  That seems be the big thing.  The locals have a trailer that haul about four all-terrain vehicles and they head to the river bottoms over the weekends.
After I took a nap, Gary came in to tell me he just saw a moose up in the mountain behind the trailer.  I went out with my camera.  This mother was with her calf.  You could actually hear her mooing like a cow.  You could see better with the naked eye.

I finished reading "Sense and Sensibility".  Now I will treat myself to a fun-to-read book.  I started "Tisha".  A book about a school teacher in the little town of Chicken, Alaska.  I also started another quilt today.  I started cutting out the squares; but haven't come up with a definite pattern yet.

I talked to Donna this afternoon.  She and Barry are enjoying their new camper.  Tried to call Deb two times but never located her.  We did have dinner at the little restaurant that is the campground office.  It was a great meal of hamburger/fries.  They had homemade pie; but I didn't have room.

Tomorrow we are driving down to Valdez.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just had my fix for the day, your blog with my morning coffee - still loving your stories and pictures. Charlene
Donna said…
Loved the picture of the bear on the top of the page. Next time you are outside blow a little of the cooler air south please! Donna

Popular posts from this blog

Days 93 and 94; July 29 & 30 -- Canada to USA

December 31 2013 -- Happy New Years!

Day 119; August 24 - Finally!