Day 49; June 15 - Fort Nelson to Watson Lake, Yukon

We left Fort Nelson in the rain for Watson Lake.  This was to be a 330 mile journey.  Our guide books told us that this was one of the most scenic stretches across the Alaskan Highway.  I might just agree.  When I dressed I just slipped into my flip flops and headed out the door to find the temperature had dropped to around 48 degrees.  I was a bit chilly for a few hours and had to snuggle in my MU Tiger blanket that Kevin had given me.

Can you tell this is a relaxing day?  Prissy takes her paws and pushes the pillows down to make a comfy place for her to lay.
 Heading north into the rain again.
It must be raining everywhere.

Looks like we are touching the clouds.
 These mountain are a little different.

 Munco Lake.  I missed the view.  You could see the reflections in the lake, just like in the real pictures.  It was clear as a mirror.
Complained too soon.  I got it!
 Stone sheep.  Today we saw 3-4 Black Bear, several Stone Sheep, one more Dead Elk, Buffalo Alone and Buffalo Herd, and a herd for 7-8 horses.  It was a great day for wild life.
This is a mother bear.  I saw one cub with her, Gary said he saw two cubs.  They were down in the tall grass.  They are really cute.  Makes you just want to hug them--think NOT.
 Canadian Bison (look just like the US Buffalo!)

 Bridge over Troubled Waters?  McDonald Bridge over McDonald River?  Driver gets confused!
We went over three bridges made like the one in Willard, Kansas, with the metal flooring.

Liard River Bridge.  Elevation is 14,000 feet.  The only remaining suspension bridge on the Alaskan Hwy.  It is 11043 feet long.  Built in 1943.
I had seen a black spot up the road.  When we got closer, it was gone.  As we passed, we realized that this old buffalo was rolling in the dirt and stirring up a big dust cloud.
Construction Work for 10-15 miles.  They were laying chipped rock over oil?  I didn't see oil.  Maybe their oil is different?










We did see four moose.  Two were in the middle of a little pond.  
We had sandwiches along the way for lunch.
We had inside Wiener Roast.  (No smores!)  Too lazy to fix fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 93 and 94; July 29 & 30 -- Canada to USA

Day 105; August 10 -- Woman's Work?

December 31 2013 -- Happy New Years!