Day 106: August 11 -- Redding, CA to Reno, NV

We left the park and headed east on Hwy 44.  When we started going up steep grades, our thermostat started going up too.  The driver decided he had better turn around and go back to the dealer.  Miss Priss and I stayed in the camper, walked around the lot, and sit in the shade.  When he came back, he said the repair personnel were baffled and did not know what else to do......so back up the mountains we went.  When we got to the 9% grade, we shut the air off.  Pleasantly surprised to find the temps in the mountains were not too bad.  The truck heated up a bit; but we made it to Reno.   All these truck issues make me tired and grumpy.  When we parked at the KOA in the backyard of Boomtown, I didn't even want to go put a few dollars in the slots.


This is a picture of us leaving Redding, California.......



We took the scenic route through the Volcanic National Park.  We went up to the snow level again.  Truck remained cool; but it was cool (64).  I think the driver told me that this mountain had erupted two times, once in 1919 and 1922.  We did pass a bubbling hot springs too.

This lake was still frozen over in the middle of August!  It had a blue tint to it.


I shot this picture of the Quincy Courthouse with my left hand.  Too hot for Priss to ride in the back, so on my right arm she sits, and sits, and sits......


Oh, you will have to note this miracle.  Usually when we see construction workers, there is 1-2 men doing the work and about five trying to figure out how to do it!  We passed 5-6 men on the end of shovels moving hot mix.......See?  they are ALL working.


Don't know if we are ready; but desert here we come.



 On the left side of the road, there was this large area of sand.  Maybe an empty lake bottom?  If anyone knows, I would like to know.  Driver and Miss Priss had gotten out to take a break; but the grass was prickly  shrubs, no going here......where is the grass?
 Tomorrow we are headed for Elco, Nevada.  I think he told me it was going to be a 300-mile day.  He wanted to know if I could handle another day of him and Miss Priss in the truck.  I guess we will know tomorrow night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 93 and 94; July 29 & 30 -- Canada to USA

December 31 2013 -- Happy New Years!

Day 105; August 10 -- Woman's Work?