Day 103; August 8 - One Busy Day!

We headed out today to drive through a big redwood tree.  Because we are old and too lazy to take the mirrors off the truck, we decided to walk through it instead.  This is GrMa with arms out-stretched.  While we were taking pictures, we met a family from Fairbanks, Alaska.  The had just flown to Missouri.  I told them we were raised in Missouri and they wanted to know where.  When I told them Paris, they both looked at each other with puzzlement.  The man (Woodrow) was raised in Perry and his wife was from Vandalia.  What a small world.  His mother had just taught two years at Paris High School.


Here I am again.  I like having a picture taken with something bigger than me!


Now here is something we didn't expect to see.  Within 1/4 mile from the big tree, there was a river.  In this river is a mother whale that had come into the river, had a baby, and for some reason she has not left.  She just was hovering around and blowing steam.  Interesting.


Good grief, here I am again.  We are out on the beach looking for shells.  I have the walking stick that Miss B presented to me in Alaska.  It sure helps my back and knee.


After lunch, we headed back into the forest to visit a grove.  I actually had to get out and walk again!

The grand-kids and I watch a move called "The Other Side of the Mountain" where the boy hollows out a tree and lives there throughout the winter.  He caught it on fire though.....could this be the one?



Here we are again.....must be time to head home because the old folks are getting punchy; but I decided this tree would actually make a good bar stool seat for me.  I tried it on for size.

Papa Bear decided that this tree needed moving.  He must need something to do other than drive!


Well, I just couldn't help it.  This was the last night to visit the coast and my last chance to have fresh seafood.  I had the seafood platter and the driver had a smothered hamburger steak.  Tomorrow we will head east.  Our destination will be around Reading, CA.

Comments

Donna said…
Looks like the bar stool will fit. I just hate to sit on seats and have to worry about hanging over the edges.

Popular posts from this blog

Days 93 and 94; July 29 & 30 -- Canada to USA

December 31 2013 -- Happy New Years!

Day 119; August 24 - Finally!