December 31 2013 -- Happy New Years!

I noticed that the last post was a Merry Christmas post.  Wellllllllll.....

Happy New Year!


Yesterday, December 30, we headed to Florida.  One more sticker added to the camper map.  Yippee!
I held the camera for five miles with the intention of not missing the change of state sign.  I had it aimed at the side of the road and was viewing every sign along the way......about the time I pushed the button for this picture, the Driver (think next year we will promote him to Travel Planner--you know it is one of those things that employers do to delay a raise in pay) hit a BUMP!


The next picture is on the way to our new campground.  It is called Whispering Pines in Silver Springs, Florida.  Gary booked this campground using our Passport America.  We get full hookup sites for $14 per night.  He has done a really good job picking out the sites.  Don't you agree he needs a new title.  Travel Planner he will be!  Diesel is a little high $3.82 to $4.07.




Today we drove around Ocala visiting furniture stores looking for a secretary desk sitting on three-four drawers to replace the storage I got at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  Unfortunately, the canvas drawers have to be tied down and I have to tie the unit to the table to keep everything in place while we are bumping down the road with a heavy foot on take offs and sometimes a quick foot on the break to avoid stop signs, people, and other cars.....Love the driver.


I did find a desk though.  I did visit an antique mall and made my first antique purchase.  I've always said I was raised with old things, wore hand-me-down clothes and I never wanted more old stuff.  But, I found just what I wanted made out of solid wood and not in too bad of shape.  It was marked down from $400 to $300.  We left and went to Best Buy.  When I came out I went back to the shop and asked if they ever took less than was marked on the items.  She wanted to know exactly what I was talking about, she called the owner and I got the desk for $250.  I came home and cleaned it with Restore and I am happy, happy, happy.




As we were driving down the lane from the campground, we saw this big leaf plant.  Does anyone have an idea what it is?  Gary said Okra.  Ha,Ha.



OK, yes I'm from Missouri and have to be shown.  But, seriously, bears in Florida.  This is the second bear crossing sign we have passed.  I asked the owner of the park if this was some kind of joke.  No, actually a bear had torn up his trash dumper the night before.  And, on the news tonight we heard where a woman had been mauled by a bear in this region.  I can't imagine why they would be in an area that is very warm.



Now these little cranes that are visiting the "snowbirds"  I understand.
.


Now some reflections on 2013.  I'm glad to see it come to an end.  Chemo from January to June, followed by Radiation from July-July.  We did have a good time helping Deb with her new house and it was when I first started to have any ambition to do any physical work.  Our house sold and Gary was a champion packing and organizing our things alone.  Family and Mary Kay did help pack and took a lot of the load from my shoulders.  Because of complications with my reconstruction process, we headed to Branson for the fall and visited friends and relatives during the month of September.  Winter came in with a fury early this year and we headed south in September.  We have seen a lot of interesting pieces of our history and a lot of different vegetation.  In June, our precious Daddy passed away.  Later on, our mom's brother Richard passed with cancer.  Mom's middle brother Larry is doing chemo now and he and God are giving the ugly cell killer a run for its money.  Our brother Kent has been fighting colon cancer that has spread into the liver.  He will begin chemo on January 13.  I don't think I want to do 2013 again.  I probably have forgotten a major happening.  My chemo mind is improving though.  My hair is slowing growing out black and gray and curly.  My toe and finger nails are growing past the damage. The damage in the nerves of my fingers and feet are improving.  Eyesight and hearing are not up to pare.  BUT, here I am in Florida with my best friend that I married.  We are enjoying a life style that I thought we would never have the nerve to undertake.  Happy New Year, Friends and Family.  May your new year honor you with good health and the love of your life!





Comments

Cori said…
Happy New Year!
Cori said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Days 93 and 94; July 29 & 30 -- Canada to USA

Day 105; August 10 -- Woman's Work?