February 26 2014 -- Florida to Alabama (Fort Pickens)


One of My Favorite Days

Tuesday morning we packed up after only one night at the Terreya State Park in Florida  It was a nice park, but Wednesday was forecast to have rain all day long and we did not want to travel in the rain.

 We did want to see the plantation house that was in the park, so we went for a early drive in the park.  Several deer ran across the road in front of us; but this one wanted to poise for a picture.

Just a short distance and we were at the beautiful house.  The old south did have a beautiful way of life; but I think I will take air conditioning and electronics.


Back on the road, we crossed over the Pensacola Bay.

And now we are in Alabama again.  Somewhere along the way we crossed the Swanee River.  The sign was pretty, it had music notes under its name.  Just wanted to burst into song!  Way down upon the Swanee River..........  (Had trouble spelling Swanee, so when I googled it I learned that it was the Florida State Song.  Learned something today.  I love to learn new things.  Only problem is I can't remember what I knew, know, or have learned.


We are back in the Central time zone.  I went to bed last night at 9:30pm.  I didn't finish the Mizzou game.  They weren't playing well and I was pooped.  I got up this morning at 10:00am.  Took a shower and we headed back into Florida with a destination of Fort Pickens State Park.  Back at the beginning of this journey, we had stopped at the Hot Springs National Park and an older gentleman had told me we needed to camp at Fort Pickens.  We now agree!

As we were gettting on the Pensacola Bay Bridge, a sign indicated that we needed to check our gas that we were getting ready to cross a long bridge.  I took this picture of a mansion just to the right of the bridge.

Pensacola Bay Bridge

Ships in the Pensacola Bay
 Bertha, our GPS guide, took us the long way around to the Pickens Park.  I had set the settings to avoid toll roads.  She sure did!

These were houses built on stilts along the road.  No, we didn't get snow.  The white is drifting sand.
Drifting Sand (Pensacola FL)

Condo, Pensacola Bay


Just a drive down the street!





After three inches of rain, these campers needed oars.




One of several bunkers located at Fort Pickens.  They built these during the civil war.  Now I need to find a book about this fort


Entry to fort.  If I remember correctly it was built in 1838.  Does that sound correct?

Inside the fort.  The outer walls.


Outside walls.


Back side.  This is a place we want to see again.

What a wonderful day!  Gary promised me dinner out.  He was going to choose.  But on the way home, we both got tired and we came home and had Beef and Sweet Potato Lean Cuisine Dinners!  Big spender!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 93 and 94; July 29 & 30 -- Canada to USA

Day 105; August 10 -- Woman's Work?

December 31 2013 -- Happy New Years!